Il Calderone di Severus

Hamlet (1992)

« Older   Newer »
view post Posted on 18/11/2012, 20:31

I ♥ Severus

Potion Master

Group:
Administrator

Responding to Jude's opinion that his was the best Hamlet she had seen, Alan said: "I was just relieved to get from one end of the play to the other. It is ludicrous in having four soliloques coming one after another."

(Truly Rickman - Interview at West Yorkshire Playhouse - Jim Greenfield January 1995)

Qui è fantastica la sua risposta al giornalista ed anche la conclusione è bellissima!

'Your most recent stage part was Hamlet. How do you renew Hamlet?'

His jaw drops slowly, hangs there for a while, then slowly lifts: 'Well...when did it get old?'

'I see. Yes. A great play is always new. Um...what qualities do you admire in an actor?'

'It's unnamable...but one thing an actor has to be is a fit instrument. The thing that wanders out of a Tube station and onto the stage, I mean, it's not in the case like a violin. An actor has to protect himself a bit. And yet be very open. To be both fit and open is a hard balance to achieve - in fact it's impossible. I hate putting this into words because it sounds so...wanky.'

'Aren't you a member of health club? Are you a fit instrument?'

'Less fit than I was. Yeah, I'm a member...Actually I go in secret and dutifully bore myself rigid on the machines. My problem with Hamlet was how the hell do you do this thing physically, how do you breathe it? Not only is the play very long but you discover that this bastard Shakespeare has put three huge soliloquies one almost directly after another.'

(DIFFICULT, WHAT ME? by Dennis Fallowell - The Observer Review January 1995)

In 1992, he was a notable Hamlet at the Riverside Studios. 'Darling,' says Thelma Holt, his producer, 'I've seen more Hamlets than I've had hot dinners; I spent eighteen months of my life playing Gertrude. I know that play better than any other, and with no disrespect to any of my other Hamlets, Alan Rickman was the Hamlet of my life. He did something rare: he told a story, and it was as if it was a new play. People always wonder what will he do with "To be" and "Rogue and peasant'; yet I could not have predicted how he would say them. Everything was new.'

(COLD SMOLDER by Valerie Grove - Harper's and Queen April 1995)

His Hamlet, at London's Riverside Theatre in 1992, was dangerous, unlikable and sold out its run. He was, said the critics, mesmeric.

(LEADING QUESTIONS... by Graham Wood - The Times Magazine, March 12, 1994)

Rickman's next theatrical commitment is playing Hamlet, a role that only a few years ago he declared himself too old to even consider. He changed his mind because the Riverside Studios production will be directed by the Georgian director, Robert Sturua - "that is if he manages to get over here...."says Rickman, "his theatre is the only building still standing in the street."

(THE LEADING MAN By Lesley White - British GQ July, 1992)

Edited by Ida59 - 18/11/2012, 20:57

Web  Top
frc_coazze
view post Posted on 5/12/2012, 22:16

Ecco le traduzioni degli estratti di Ida. Il resto è tradotto per metà, domani dovrei riuscire a concludere ;)

Truly Rickman - Interview at West Yorkshire Playhouse - Jim Greenfield January 1995

Rispondendo a Jude, secondo cui quello era il miglior Amleto che avesse mai visto, Alan ha detto: "Ero solo sollevato dal passare da una fine dello spettacolo all’altra. É ridicolo avere quattro soliloqui di fila uno dopo l’altro".

DIFFICULT, WHAT ME? by Dennis Fallowell - The Observer Review January 1995

“Il suo ruolo teatrale più recente è stato Amleto. Come si rinnova Amleto?”

La sua mascella scende lentamente, pende per un po', poi si rialza lentamente: “Beh ... quando è che diventato vecchio?”

“Capisco. Sì. Una grande rappresentazione è sempre nuova. Uhm ... quali qualità ammira in un attore?”

“É innominabile... ma una cosa un attore deve essere è uno strumento in buona salute. Quella cosa che erra da una fermata della metro e sul palco, voglio dire, non sta in una custodia come un violino. Un attore deve un po’ proteggere se stesso. E tuttavia essere molto aperto. Essere sia in forma che aperto è un equilibrio difficile da raggiungere - in realtà è impossibile. Odio descrivere tutto questo a parole, perché suona così... pasticciato.”

“E lei non è un membro del centro benessere? É uno strumento in buona forma?”

“Meno in forma di quanto fossi. Sì, sono un membro... In realtà, ci entro in segreto e doverosamente mi porto rigido sulle macchine. Il mio problema con Amleto è come diavolo si fa a fare questa cosa fisicamente, come si fa a respirare? Non solo la rappresentazione è molto lunga, ma scopri anche che questo bastardo di Shakespeare ha messo tre soliloqui enormi quasi uno dopo l'altro.”

COLD SMOLDER by Valerie Grove - Harper's and Queen April 1995

Nel 1992, è stato un notevole Amleto al Riverside Studios. “Tesoro”, dice Thelma Holt, la sua produttrice, “ho visto più Amleti che pasti caldi; ho trascorso diciotto mesi della mia interpretando Gertrude. So che recitare meglio di chiunque altro, e senza mancare di rispetto a nessuno degli altri miei Amleti - Alan Rickman è stato l'Amleto della mia vita. Ha fatto qualcosa di raro: ha raccontato una storia, ed è stato come se fosse uno spettacolo nuovo. La gente si chiedeva cosa avrebbe fatto con "Essere" e "canaglia e vil servo”; neppure io avrei potuto prevedere come li avrebbe detti. Tutto era nuovo”

LEADING QUESTIONS... by Graham Wood - The Times Magazine, March 12, 1994

Il suo Amleto, al London Riverside Theatre nel 1992, era pericoloso, antipatico ed aveva fatto tutto esaurito nelle sue repliche. Era, hanno detto i critici, ipnotico.

THE LEADING MAN By Lesley White - British GQ July, 1992

Il prossimo impegno teatrale di Rickman è l’interpretazione di Amleto, un ruolo per il quale, solo pochi anni fa, si era dichiarato troppo vecchio per poterlo anche solo prendere in considerazione. Ha cambiato idea, perché la produzione dei Riverside Studios sarà diretta dal regista georgiano, Robert Sturua - "questo se riesce a venire qui...", dice Rickman, "il suo teatro è l'unico edificio ancora in piedi della strada."

view post Posted on 26/1/2013, 18:27

I ♥ Severus

Potion Master

Group:
Administrator

Alan deve essre stato stupendo in quell'Amleto!

Web  Top
view post Posted on 26/5/2013, 10:22

I ♥ Severus

Potion Master

Group:
Administrator

Eeeh sì... un Amleto supendo.

Web  Top
view post Posted on 27/1/2015, 23:56

Pozionista abile

Group:

Su twitter ho trovato un riferimento a un articolo su Alan uscito in occasione dell'Hamlet da lui recitato. E' del 1992 ma non mi pare che sia già stato postato, almeno in questa sezione. E' piuttosto lungo ma a una prima veloce lettura (a cui ne seguirà una mooolto più attenta e particolareggiata :P ) non mi è dispiaciuto.

THEATRE / The Prince of Darkness: A wickedly good actor, Alan Rickman has made a virtue of villainous parts from a debauched French aristo to a German terrorist. Now, as he takes on Hamlet, we will see whether, like other great Danes, he has that within which passeth show

ALLISON PEARSON Sunday 30 August 1992

'WE'LL start with a couple of Latin terms . . .' It is 1985, and in Les Liaisons Dangereuses the Vicomte de Valmont is giving a teenage girl a classical education in sex. It is a cold-blooded seduction pressed home with the utmost civility of expression. Everyone in the audience is watching Valmont, they can't help it: he is bad, this man, but he is worryingly interesting. He prowls the stage like a big cat luxuriating in his own body. The beautiful, languorous voice coddles his words into a passing impression of tenderness before letting them go with a dying fall. He smiles at the girl, but only with his mouth: the eyes are quite dead. This is what wickedness looks like: a place beyond morality where the body and its desires are working overtime. The heart has rusted to dust, corroded by irony and loathing.
It was one of the great performances of the last decade. Lindsay Duncan, who played the Marquise, the Vicomte's co-voluptuary, remembers the effect he had: 'A lot of people left the theatre wanting to have sex, and most of them wanted to have it with Alan Rickman.'

Seven years later Rickman is preparing to play Hamlet. He looks to have come a long way: Hollywood adores him (three of his films were in the top ten last year - Robin Hood, Close My Eyes, and Truly Madly Deeply) and people who know about these things are calling him the most important actor of his generation, but the imprint of villainy is still on him like an evil eye. He rages against it to the point where it has been on a list of banned questions: there is so much more to him, he's an actor, he can play anyone. But still they ask him to play the same role over and over: the icebox lizard, the guy in the big black coat and shades who would blow away the world without blinking.

A Hollywood scout spotted Rickman playing Valmont on Broadway, and he was hired to play Hans Gruber, the terrorist leader in Die Hard. The film was a vehicle for Bruce Willis, but Rickman drove off with it. His entrance, like that of a Shakespearean duke's, is loaded with moment. Alarums within] A group of heavies surge towards the camera; suddenly they part, and there he is - the long pewter coat, hands in pockets, tongue-in-chic. He addresses the hostages with an open Filofax and closes it afterwards like a Bible, pleased with his Satanic sermon. While Willis as Detective McClane was shinning down lift-shafts in his sweaty vest, Rickman was fastidiously killing hostages: 'You're nothing but a common thief,' Bonnie Bedelia shrieks at him. And he scuttles across the floor to her like Antony Sher's Richard III, baring his teeth: 'I am an exceptional thief, Mrs McClane.' It is the first crack in the ice: if you're going to be evil, you might as well be the best.

One bad guy led to another. Last year Rickman was Sheriff of Nottingham to Kevin Costner's sappy greenwood hero in Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves. The subtitle could have been written for Rickman, who stole the film from Costner by turning the Sheriff into a balletic psychopath, the barking offspring of Frank Zappa and a Dobermann pinscher. The comedy came from Rickman's playing off Python content against an arch high style. The Los Angeles Daily News said he saved the film, ad-libbing through a script creaking with political correctness: 'Cancel the leavings for lepers and orphans] No more merciful beheadings. And call off Chrisss-tmass]' There were familiar weapons from the Rickman armoury and some new strings to the beau: the half-closing of the hooded hazel eyes in moments of savage ennui, the sibilant irritation: 'Not now,' he rasps at someone as he tries to penetrate a reluctant Maid Marion. 'I tried to make him certifiable and funny,' Rickman said later. He certainly caused moral confusion at previews, where audiences cheered him. Costner was not best pleased and cut Rickman's scenes, reputedly shooting 17 more close-ups of himself. To no avail. The best lacked all conviction and the worst was full of passionate intensity. Costner gave it everything he'd got, leaving you wanting nothing: Rickman, who always holds something back, had us dangling from every snarl.

In Bob Roberts, Tim Robbins's withering satire on an American election, released here on 11 September, Rickman is Lukas Hart III, the sharkish campaign manager staring malevolently at the world through a pair of smoky glasses. Rickman gives him a menace that comes from doing nothing, from a pathological watchfulness. Howard Davies, who directed Liaisons, says: 'Alan has a fantastic stillness, he stops and in that moment of contemplation can convey that there are an infinite number of options. That is the sense of danger.'

RICKMAN was born in Acton, west London, in 1947, the second of four children of Irish- Welsh parents. His father, who was a painter and decorator, died of cancer when Alan was eight, leaving 'a devastating sense of grief' and very little money. Rickman says he was born a card-carrying member of the Labour Party. It wasn't radical posturing that led him to appear in the party's broadcast on the eve of the general election. Rima Horton, his partner of 20 years and an economics lecturer, was the Labour candidate in Chelsea. When he talks now about his own bankability, how much he got paid for Die Hard, he will pull himself up in mid-sentence and say how barmy it is to be talking about such sums when you think about unemployed people with children. And he can still make Thatcher a four-letter word.

At the age of 11, Rickman won a scholarship to Latimer Upper School, later going on to study graphic design at Chelsea College. He set up a design business with a few friends and a lot of Letraset in Soho, but his mind wasn't in it. In 1973, aged 26, he tried for Rada. The audition, which featured the first Rickman villain - Richard III - won him a scholarship. Then it was into the long slog of rep and some fine performances at the Bush and Hampstead in plays by Dusty Hughes and Snoo Wilson. One Christmas he played a squirrel in panto. You suspect it was not his finest hour.

In 1979, Rickman had an unhappy stint with the RSC and left saying he wanted to 'learn how to talk to other actors on stage rather than bark at them'. In 1981, he was Trigorin in the Royal Court's Seagull. Christopher Hampton, author of Liaisons Dangereuses, remembers: 'When he walked on I thought he's much too young, but he was so convincing as a writer. There was a pain in the performance which was about having given up hope of being great and accepting second best.'

Jonathan Powell, now controller of BBC1, was also there and cast Rickman in his Barchester Chronicles. One reviewer noted that in awesome company (Donald Pleasence, Nigel Hawthorne, Geraldine McEwan), the best performance was given by 'an unknown - Alan Rickman'. Rickman wasn't born to play Obadiah Slope, Trollope's slithy tove of a cleric, but he became him through inspired physical invention. In black frock-coat and hat he looked like an upended cockroach, his hands clasped in front of him in an attitude of unyielding piety. It would be impossible to read the book now and not see Rickman: that tight, strange walk that seemed to go sideways, the upper lip curling back to reveal the teeth in a half-smile half-snarl, the divine smugness. And the voice, plangent as the Warden's cello, swelling with indignation or sliding into humbug humility: 'That is certainly my view, bishop, for what that is worth . . .' David Giles, the director, says Slope was the hardest part 'because it comes nearest to caricature. Alan gave it a snaky sexiness which made it real.' Giles had already spotted the quality that was to make Rickman the most compelling British screen actor since James Mason: 'The interior life was so fierce, he was really frightening.'

I was supposed to be interviewing Alan Rickman, but he cancelled, saying that he didn't feel he had anything to say. Which was a shame, but not a surprise. Of all actors he is the most contemptuous of interview blather. But he has plenty to say about his work when it counts. Howard Davies once told a magazine that actors needed to find a trait they could love in a character. 'Alan rang up furious. He sets out by exploring the pathology of character. He cuts them open and looks for what makes them weak or bad or violent.' Hampton remembers Rickman had 'very strong views about how to play Valmont which fortunately turned out to be extremely sensible.' A lot of the contributions he made were physical details. 'He insisted on having his frock-coat unrealistically long and wearing a beard, because he had this image of what Valmont looked like.' Something Rickman invented in rehearsal became part of the play. 'Before the rape scene, he runs his hand the whole length of the girl's body about six inches away from it - it was a simple idea which combined menace and sensuality. But it had a connoisseur's touch.'

A troubling eroticism still marks Rickman out. Stephen Poliakoff, who wrote the part of the cuckolded husband in Close My Eyes for him, says: 'Alone of English actors he has a combination of great sex appeal and danger.' Geraldine McEwan, about to play Gertrude to Rickman's Hamlet, says: 'It's not to do with that dreadful word fancying. It's a mesmeric quality; a refined, subtle intelligence in total concentration.' She's right about mesmerising, but there is a dreadful amount of fancying. The RSC still fields calls from 'weak-kneed women' wanting to know about Rickman.

So where does he go from here? Much depends on his own scruples: he would be a rich man if he didn't constantly reject trash movies with 'unsound messages'. After reading for White Nights, he quoted Dorothy Parker: 'This is not a script to be tossed lightly away. It should be hurled with great force.' His strengths are obvious; if there is a question- mark it is over his range. The only person who would say a word against him wondered whether he wasn't a lazy actor, whether he could let go of that louche, droll persona, and if there was anything underneath. Hampton offers an answer. He recalls a screen test Rickman did for David Lean's proposed Nostromo, playing the Hamlet-like role of an intellectual who can't face up to action and kills himself. 'We ran all the tests and Lean said: 'Your friend, he's the only one who's any good. He has an extraordinary presence.' ' Similar stories suggest that the only limitation Rickman faces is in the imagination of casting directors.

'NO living actor is better equipped for Hamlet. On him the right sadness sits, and also the right spleen; his gait is a prowl over quicksands and he can freeze a word with an irony at once mournful and deadly.' Thus Kenneth Tynan on Paul Scofield in 1955, but the same sense of anticipation surrounds Rickman in 1992. There was no money for advertising, but 90 per cent of the seats are sold. Georgian director Robert Sturua has a fine cast - McEwan, Michael Byrne, David Burke - but there is no doubt who everyone wants to see. Qualities that have made Rickman a most sublime, smiling villain are oddly apt for the torn hero. You can imagine watching him watching Gertrude watching the players. The threat of something about to go very badly out of control. And, in the years to come Macbeth perhaps, Iago certainly, if he can stomach another villain.

We can't be sure what kind of Hamlet Rickman will be. Whatever he does, he won't be a common Hamlet. He will be an exceptional Hamlet, Mrs McClane.

'Hamlet' previews at the Riverside (081-748 3354) from 9 Sept. Opens 15 Sept-10 Oct, then tours to Bradford, Nottingham, Barrow in Furness. 'Bob Roberts' opens in London on 11 Sept and goes on nationwide release on 9 Oct.

From: www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertai...ow-1543373.html

halfbloodprincess78
view post Posted on 28/1/2015, 08:25

Questo articolo lo avevamo in interviste, sono andata a cercare e a questo link trovate la traduzione. Comunque hai fatto bene Manu a mettere l'articolo anche qui.

halfbloodprincess78
view post Posted on 16/1/2016, 14:16

144450-1b4b3-92399067-m750x740-u20207

144450-240a7-92399071-m750x740-uf07a9

144450-6586e-92399068-m750x740-u97b2a

144450-d5cc6-92399066-m750x740-ue85f9

144450-e4caf-92399069-m750x740-udf80f

Da http://gallery.ru/watch?ph=LJ0-gpRnG

Edited by Arwen68 - 3/5/2021, 18:06

view post Posted on 16/1/2016, 14:54

I ♥ Severus

Potion Master

Group:
Administrator

Aah... aver potuto essere in teatro a vederlo... :( :) :wub:

Web  Top
halfbloodprincess78
view post Posted on 17/1/2016, 13:49

144450-2a504-92424506-m750x740-u0b824_0

144450-2bcfe-92424508-m750x740-u3fd9a_0

144450-80d82-92424510-m750x740-u82930_0

144450-82a14-92424501-m750x740-ueedb5_0

144450-4130e-92424502-m750x740-u22be3_0

144450-a339e-92424505-m750x740-u4fd48_0

144450-bc654-92424504-m750x740-u79a76_0

144450-ced3b-92424509-m750x740-ub95e6_0

144450-da047-92424511-m750x740-ue968c_0

144450-e0376-92424503-m750x740-u5396c_0

Da http://alanrickmanru.gallery.ru/watch?ph=LJ0-gpXZV

Edited by Arwen68 - 3/5/2021, 18:11

view post Posted on 27/7/2016, 23:34

Pozionista con esperienza

Group:
Alan Rickman Fan

tumblr_oazl3vQW691uir9h7o2_1280

Contacts  Top
view post Posted on 14/10/2016, 00:11

Group:
Alan Rickman Fan

Source: Shakespeare Magazine on twitter

Info: "Alan Rickman took Hamlet on tour in 1992. Many of us fondly recall shows in Nottingham, Bradford & Barrow-in-Furness"

Riverside Studios, London W6 15/09/1992

© Donald Cooper/Photostage

Contacts  Top
view post Posted on 21/10/2016, 21:58

I ♥ Severus

Potion Master

Group:
Administrator

Inserita da Erika

Web  Top
view post Posted on 7/11/2016, 00:24

Group:
Alan Rickman Fan

tumblr_og6behEV711uir9h7o5_r1_1280

Contacts  Top
view post Posted on 7/11/2016, 17:08

Fondi-calderoni

Group:
Alan Rickman Fan

Tiger, commento qui per tutti gli aggiornamenti che hai caricato stanotte: un lavoro immenso! GRAZIE davvero per le composizioni... non ci sono parole

me li sono scaricati tutti!
(ma adesso sono in overdose... )

:gasp:

view post Posted on 7/11/2016, 23:56

Group:
Alan Rickman Fan

:wub: prego

Contacts  Top
100 replies since 6/9/2010, 20:26   2583 views