Il Calderone di Severus

The Barchester Chronicles (1982)

« Older   Newer »
halfbloodprincess78
view post Posted on 30/9/2011, 22:10

Bellissima e anche enormissima! :stupore: :stupore: :stupore:

Heloissa_
view post Posted on 30/9/2011, 23:36

Non so perchè ma mi sembra strano in queste vesti! Ma è così bello, sembra quasi soprannaturale :lol:
Quella pelle... Dai... Quello sguardo, quel profilo... Non è reale, dai :woot:

halfbloodprincess78
view post Posted on 5/12/2011, 23:21

Recensione del 1984.

'MASTERPIECE' TRADITION ENDURES
By Lee Winfrey
(Philadelphia Inquirer, October 28, 1984)

The much-admired Masterpiece Theater series will begin its 14th season on television tonight with a seven-hour mini-series titled Barchester Chronicles.

Barchester Chronicles, adapted from two novels by Anthony Trollope, fits the pattern of many past hits on Masterpiece Theater: produced in England, superbly acted, and offering a thoughtful, intelligent view of the world instead of the violent and/or stupid imitations of life that appear so often elsewhere on TV.

Barchester Chronicles will premiere tonight at 9 on PBS. Weekly one-hour episodes will follow in the same time slot until the mini- series concludes Dec. 9.

Although Masterpiece Theater host Alistair Cooke calls him "one of the three or four greatest English novelists of the 19th century," Trollope is a dim and neglected literary figure for most readers today. As a Victorian novelist, he wrote without recourse to specific sex or bloody violence, specializing in solid examinations of the English social structure and the behavior of typical people within it.

Today, Trollope's value - one that he shares with his greater contemporary, Charles Dickens - rests on his gift for creating characters who carry on just like people we see around us every day. Human nature and behavior have, fundamentally, not changed in the century since Trollope and Dickens died. A few new cultural trimmings have been added, but that's about it.

Barchester Chronicles is based upon Trollope's first successful novel, The Warden, published in 1855, and his funniest one, Barchester Towers, which came out two years later. Essentially, the first two episodes of Barchester Chronicles are drawn from The Warden and the last five from Barchester Towers, with mostly different supporting casts for each division. The star of the whole show, though, from beginning to end, is one of the finest character actors alive today: Donald Pleasence. Within the framework of his age (he turned 65 this month), he can play just about anything. Pleasence's best-known work dates to the 1960s: on stage as Davies, the tramp in Harold Pinter's play The Caretaker (1961), and as Arthur Goldman, the Nazi war criminal who was the title character in The Man in the Glass Booth (1968), and as Blofeld, one of the most menacing villains ever faced by James Bond, in the 1967 movie, You Only Live Twice.

One of the measures of a good character actor is that Pleasence's role in Barchester Chronicles is not anything like those previous parts at all. Tonight he plays the Rev. Septimus Harding, a sweet and almost saintly old man whose major problem is that he tries, every day and in every way, to truly behave like a Christian.

Even his fellow clergymen think Harding goes too far with this rash behavior. "You are a pure man adrift among sinners," one tells him. Another advises him, "You really must stop trying to see the other fellow's point of view. It's your worst fault."

When the mini-series opens tonight, Harding is living quietly and peacefully in the fictional city of Barchester, where he is choirmaster at the cathedral and warden at Hiram Hospital, a retirement home for old men. A widower, he lives with his younger daughter, Eleanor Harding, played by Janet Maw.

Harding's problems in the first two episodes arise from two reformers possessed of more zeal than mercy, a young doctor named John Bold and a crusading newspaper reporter called Tom Towers. Because they despise the Church of England and want to reduce its power, they strike at Harding, accusing him of cheating his hospital patients.

Harding survives the worst that Bold and Towers can deal out to him, only to be faced in the last five episodes of Barchester Chronicles with two of the most despicable characters ever created in English literature, Mrs. Proudie and Obadiah Slope.

Mrs. Proudie is a stern, stiff, cold and merciless woman with a voice like flint and a total indifference to the happiness or welfare of anyone except herself and her henpecked husband, a bishop who becomes Harding's superior. Geraldine McEwan's mastery of this frigid role is so complete that it is literally infuriating to watch her. A viewer's sympathies gush automatically toward whomever Mrs. Proudie brings under her glare.

Mrs. Proudie is abetted by Slope, a slimy social climber who works as her husband's chaplain. Slope is so oily one imagines he would leave film on your hand if you shook it. Probably the only reason Slope is less odious than Mrs. Proudie is that he has less power to do ill. As it is, Alan Rickman in this role capitalizes on every opportunity to behave offensively. On many current weekly series, a stock character is the hateful boss. If you are under the impression that this TV stereotype is worn out, tune in for Mrs. Proudie and Slope, who will first appear on Barchester Chronicles on Nov. 11. One of the differences between hackwork and art is the contrast between the way series bosses are crudely handled and the masterful way that Trollope presents and employs Mrs. Proudie and Slope.

Blessed are the meek, because Harding endures although Mrs. Proudie and Slope do their worst. Besides his sweet daughter Eleanor, who always stands in his support, Harding gets unexpected help from Madeline Vesey-Neroni, a local busybody who loves to manipulate people toward what she thinks are their best interests. Susan Hampshire sparkles unfailingly in this role. Hampshire has previously specialized in bitch roles, winning three Emmy Awards for her portrayals of Sarah Churchill in The First Churchills, Becky Sharpe in Vanity Fair, and Fleur Forsyte in The Forsyte Saga. If Harding could see this show, he would probably smile benevolently to see how well Hampshire has reformed in her role as the helpful Madeline.

Another character who attempts to help Harding is his son-in-law, Archdeacon Grantly, sharply played by Nigel Hawthorne. But the archdeacon normally fails to get through to Harding because Grantly's advice is too coldly realistic.

In particular, Grantly is exasperated that Harding cares so little about his salary. In Grantly's opinion, "If honest men didn't squabble for money in this world of ours, then dishonest men would get it all."[]

Ale85LeoSign
view post Posted on 16/1/2012, 21:12

Un po' di espressioni di un giovane Alan in Barchester Chronicles!

tumblr_lq29uuoBnb1qd07l7

halfbloodprincess78
view post Posted on 16/1/2012, 21:33

Mi piace la quarta della serie ''ecco mo mi incacchio!!!''XD

view post Posted on 16/1/2012, 22:06

I ♥ Severus

Potion Master

Group:
Administrator

Ma quanto bellino è?
Ecco, non ha il fascino di Snape... ma è indubbiamente sulla buona strada!

Web  Top
Ale85LeoSign
view post Posted on 16/1/2012, 22:41

Nella versione di Snape attuale, secondo me, ha l'aria più "vissuta".
Non so come spiegarmi meglio, qui è lisciato in testa, ha troppo l'aria del perfettino che forse sarebbe andata bene soltanto per uno Snape giovane. (però quest'aria che ha penso che derivi soprattutto dal personaggio che sta interpretando. Probabilmente uno Snape giovane interpretato da Alan a quell'età sarebbe stato reso diversamente.)
Severus adulto, personalmente, va bene con l'Alan di adesso.

view post Posted on 16/1/2012, 22:55

I ♥ Severus

Potion Master

Group:
Administrator

La cosa strana è che Alan nel 1982 aveva aveva 36 anni, cioè più o meno l'età del Severus adulto... solo che in quelle immagini sembra così giovane rispetto all'idea che abbiamo noi del Piton adulto interpretato da un Alan inizialmente ultra cinquantenne, e ora ultrasessantenne... ma continuo a preferire il consueto Severus...

Web  Top
view post Posted on 16/1/2012, 23:17

Pozionista provetto

Group:

CITAZIONE (Ale85LeoSign @ 16/1/2012, 22:41) 
Nella versione di Snape attuale, secondo me, ha l'aria più "vissuta".
Non so come spiegarmi meglio, qui è lisciato in testa, ha troppo l'aria del perfettino che forse sarebbe andata bene soltanto per uno Snape giovane. (però quest'aria che ha penso che derivi soprattutto dal personaggio che sta interpretando. Probabilmente uno Snape giovane interpretato da Alan a quell'età sarebbe stato reso diversamente.)
Severus adulto, personalmente, va bene con l'Alan di adesso.

Sono completamente d'accordo, Severus anche se giovane aveva una maturità tale che soltanto un Alan adulto avrebbe potuto dargli, qui, anche se fisicamente sarebbe stato perfetto proprio per l'età che aveva, era per la sua interiorità che secondo me non l'avrebbe reso uno splendido Severus nel suo insieme.
E' sempre stato un bravissimo attore per carità, ma secondo me a quell'età gli sarebbe mancata l'esperienza necessaria per interpretare un Severus così colmo di pesi che gli gravavano sulle spalle.

L'immagine però rende divinamente :stupore: però, concordo con l'Amicozza, gli manca il volto più adulto e più segnato dall'età che caratterizza molto bene l'interiorità del personaggio.
Dal viso di Alan più che dalle battute e immagini, si comprende a pieno Severus, e questa secondo me è sempre stato una delle sue migliori qualità.

Contacts  Top
Ale85LeoSign
view post Posted on 16/1/2012, 23:26

CITAZIONE (Severus Ikari @ 16/1/2012, 23:17) 
E' sempre stato un bravissimo attore per carità, ma secondo me a quell'età gli sarebbe mancata l'esperienza necessaria per interpretare un Severus così colmo di pesi che gli gravavano sulle spalle.

Sì, è la stessa cosa che ho pensato anch'io. Non so se all'epoca di B.C. Alan sarebbe stato in grado di far uscire dalla carta un personaggio complesso come Severus. Sarebbe stato in grado di rendere la sofferenza di una vita?

view post Posted on 16/1/2012, 23:45

Pozionista provetto

Group:

CITAZIONE (Ale85LeoSign @ 16/1/2012, 23:26) 
CITAZIONE (Severus Ikari @ 16/1/2012, 23:17) 

Sì, è la stessa cosa che ho pensato anch'io. Non so se all'epoca di B.C. Alan sarebbe stato in grado di far uscire dalla carta un personaggio complesso come Severus. Sarebbe stato in grado di rendere la sofferenza di una vita?

Anche se credo che a questa domanda sia difficile rispondere perchè per farlo dovremmo conoscere molto molto meglio Alan, però per me non lo avrebbe reso allo stesso modo, ma non in termini recitativi, ma proprio caratteriali ed emotivi.
Severus è un personaggio difficile in un certo senso, che va letto tra le righe e se pensiamo che dopo anni e dopo l'uscita di tutti i film e i libri c'è ancora gente che non lo comprende a fondo, ci accorgiamo di quanto complesso sia (e della gente tarda, ma questo è tutt'altro), e di conseguenza renderlo sullo schermo nel migliore dei modi non è cosa da poco.
Severus a 30 anni ha passato una vita così intensa che praticamente erano il doppio, soprattutto per esperienza, carattere, sentimenti che ha dovuto forgiare in pochissimo tempo.
Un Alan-Slope sarebbe stato perfetto fisicamente, ma non mentalmente.
La prendo parecchio larga: Alan ha praticamente condensato libri in pochi sguardi ed espressioni, e queste capacità le aveva, ma le ha affinate col tempo, rendendolo perfetto per un personaggio che aveva bisogno di essere compreso anche solo con uno sguardo.

Contacts  Top
Ale85LeoSign
view post Posted on 17/1/2012, 14:52

Come potrebbe mai essere la testa di Severus??? (ma non vedi che pelle giallastra che ha?)
Quello è un fotogramma di Slope dove ho aggiunto i capelli di Severus!

view post Posted on 17/1/2012, 15:01

I ♥ Severus

Potion Master

Group:
Administrator

Mi avevi tratto in inganno con la tua frase sul make-up (non è la prima volta che me lo "lifti"! ;) )

Ad ogni modo, la tua immagine

snapeslope

assomiglia incredibilmente a questa, da cui il mio dubbio...

hp1020a

Edited by Ale85LeoSign - 25/4/2012, 12:09

Web  Top
Ale85LeoSign
view post Posted on 17/1/2012, 16:31

I capelli son presi da una caps di HP5.
Chiaro che ci assomiglia, è lo stesso attore! :lol:

view post Posted on 17/1/2012, 21:07

I ♥ Severus

Potion Master

Group:
Administrator

Già, ma sono passati un sacchissimo di anni!!!
E questo, secondo me dimostra che Alan avrebbe saputo interpretare molto bene Severus anche trent'anni fa! Il cipiglio è lo stesso!

Web  Top
102 replies since 5/6/2011, 11:29   2496 views