Snow Cake

« Older   Newer »
view post Posted on 26/10/2012, 22:27

Pozionista abile

Group:

E qui è bellissimo come il sole! :stupore:

cccpkobe78
view post Posted on 27/10/2012, 07:08

CITAZIONE (Ele Snapey @ 26/10/2012, 23:27) 
E qui è bellissimo come il sole! :stupore:

Hai perfettamente ragione Ele.
In questo film Alan mi piace molto, soprattutto per il tipo di personaggio che interpreta.

Clarice
view post Posted on 28/10/2012, 04:25

:wub: davvero molto bello Alan in questo film, avete ragione, e la storia è molto delicata. Peccato che abbia avuto poca risonanza, soprattutto in Italia

cccpkobe78
view post Posted on 29/10/2012, 08:01

Preferirei che facesse il contrario. <_<

tumblr_mbsu0iDksK1qcgi6no1_400tumblr_mbsu0iDksK1qcgi6no2_400
Fonte: http://monkeysystem.tumblr.com/post/33450166706/yuuum

cccpkobe78
view post Posted on 29/10/2012, 17:46

:stupore: :stupore: Che belle Cla. Il Rickman è splendido in queste scene. :wub: :wub:
Questo secondo me questo è uno dei film più belli di Alan, peccato che qui in Italia non sìa stato distribuito. <_<

view post Posted on 29/10/2012, 22:20

I ♥ Severus

Potion Master

Group:
Administrator

CITAZIONE (halfbloodprincess78 @ 29/10/2012, 14:43) 
Caps:

Dovrò prendere una settimana di ferie per scaricarmele tutte (queste e quelle degli altri film): giorni e giorni di piacevolissimo lavoro... :wub:

Web  Top
view post Posted on 30/10/2012, 22:29

Pozionista abile

Group:

Che caps stupendeeee! Ci metterò anch'io una vita a scaricarle tutte, comprese quelle degli altri film, ma non si può rinunciare ad una collezione di immagini così pregiata -_-

wittyselina
view post Posted on 31/10/2012, 14:44

Davvero bellissime, tanta robbbba! :)
Oltre ad essere forse il mio film preferito fra i suoi, qui c'è l'Alan che personalmente trovo al top del suo fascino!

view post Posted on 12/11/2012, 16:45

I ♥ Severus

Potion Master

Group:
Administrator

Prof. Snape wows Wawa 23-5-05
Rickman talks about making the just-wrapped Snow Cake

By Camilla White-Kirkpatrick, Special to The Star
Local News - Saturday, April 23, 2005 @ 09:00

WAWA — Small towns bode well for Alan Rickman.

Filming in Wawa has been ideal for the veteran actor, who just finished a two-week location shoot in the community for the movie Snow Cake.

“I love filming in small towns because that means you can really get to know a place and focus on your work at the same time — you don’t have many distractions,” said Rickman in an interview Friday night on location at a Wawa home that was converted into a set for the Canada/UK production.

The movie, which also stars Sigourney Weaver and Carrie-Anne Moss, will relocate to Toronto for studio filming, wrapping on May 19.

An “excellent script” is what attracted Rickman to the role of Alex, a tightlipped Englishman who, as a result of a tragedy, forms a relationship with Linda, an autistic woman, played by Weaver.

The British actor helped to get the independent movie off the ground. “All independent movies go through that. It’s not a strange or unique story. It’s a road we’ve all traveled down. A fragile road. Sometimes you win sometimes you don’t.”

Referring to a movie he directed, Rickman said, “It happened very quickly but the actual play script took a long time to develop and then suddenly it was a movie. There’s no rules. This one was obviously governed, to a large extent, by the title.”

Having been involved in acting, directing and writing, Rickman has high regard for first-time screenwriter Angela Pell. “That’s a real pleasure to me to see somebody’s first script being made.”

This is the second time Rickman co-stars with Weaver having worked with her and Tim Allen in Galaxy Quest, which he calls one of the funniest films. “It made us laugh making it.

“It’s been wonderful working with her.
It’s probably a part that people don’t expect her to play.”

Rickman said Weaver has been committed to the script and has put a lot of hard work and time into researching her role. “It’s going to be a totally accurate portrayal of what it is to be an adult autistic.”

Well known for his villainous characters in Die Hard, Quigley Down Under and Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves, Rickman says he does not feel he was typecast in those roles.

“Not at all because I was doing all sorts of other things at the same time,” he said, referring to his roles in Michael Collins and Sense and Sensibility.

Rickman says he is not surprised at the success of the Harry Potter movies, in which he played Professor Snape. “Why would it not be a success, I mean, the books alone would mean everybody would go running to it.”

Rickman says his younger fans recognize him “only if I’m in a black wig and a long black coat, they don’t really know me otherwise. They kind of stare in some confusion but it’s great.”

“I love seeing their faces when they come on the set when they visit us,” said the 59-year-old actor who signed many autographs for children while he was in Wawa. “And it’s not just children, there’s a lot of adult devotees of Harry Potter.”

A modest Rickman added, “It’s not me, it’s the character they love and all that galaxy of people that JK Rowling had created. So we just kind of put on a costume and say the lines.”

The fourth movie, Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, is due out at Christmas.

Beginning his career in theatre and than breaking into movies, Rickman said, “I love them both. I’m very happy in either. It’s all acting and it’s all working with other people.”

He said the script is what makes a role appealing. “Everything one does, you’re only as good as the writing so I’m just interested in working with good writers. I don’t mind whether it’s on film or in the theater.”

Rickman said he always wanted to act. “I probably always thought that it was the thing I liked doing most but other things got in the way like going to art school and being a graphic designer. But then life has a weird way of working itself out.”

When he became a director, Rickman said his art school background was invaluable. “So life is one weird jigsaw puzzle and somewhere along the line, you find the straight piece that was on the floor somewhere.”

While he makes his home in London, England, Rickman has made one movie in Canada called The January Man and has visited the country several times as he has many friends here.

He added, “I’ve never been to Northern Ontario before so I hope after this I’m going to travel a bit across Canada.”

As for the Hollywood scene, Rickman said he’s always had a good time in Tinseltown but “I don’t spend a lot of time there.”

Presently, he is directing a play in London called My Name is Rachel Cory and in the summer plans to film a movie called Perfume.

Asked about a favourite movie he’s done, Rickman couldn’t answer. “When you make a film, it’s not just a movie, it‚s also a big lump of your own life.”

Rickman, attached to the Snow Cake project for the past year, said production will take two months to shoot in Canada. “When you attach yourself to a project, a whole slew of new people come into your life so you make a whole bunch of new friends.”

Rickman said he and the entire crew are thankful for the warm temperatures in which they’ve had to work during their stay in Wawa.

Referring to a gift the production crew received in the community, Rickman said a woman “gave us a kind of Madonna figure and it said underneath, Our Lady of Snow. I don’t know who it is who has been looking after us but somebody has.”

On Friday, the actor had to do a hot tub scene in freezing temperatures and strong winds. “If it had been like this the whole time, we would have never got through it.”

On top of the problems caused by freezing cameras and cables, Rickman said, “Snow is one thing, but below freezing temperatures and windchill is another.”

“I did a film once in very cold temperatures and my mouth froze so it’s not too good for the acting.”

He said the great weather added to the film. “It means the sun has become a feature in the film and I think that’s a very good thing for the script because it’s a hopeful film.”

Describing this interview as feeling like it was taking place in a holding bay at a movie theater, he said, “But it’s somebody’s home and the people who own it are living downstairs. It feels like you sort of take over and the people have happily become extras in the film.”

“When you go on location with the film, it’s like the film possesses the location,” said Rickman.

Referring to his time in the community, Rickman calls it “a really happy interaction between us all. We’re incredibly grateful for the generous hearts that let us come here and invade their lives.”

As for his memories of Wawa, Rickman said he will remember the log fires at the Wawa Motor Inn, rhubarb pie at JDD’s Diner and buttertarts, which he had never eaten until now.

Web  Top
view post Posted on 12/11/2012, 17:03

I ♥ Severus

Potion Master

Group:
Administrator

28/4/07 Show interview with Alan Rickman & Sigourney Weaver - SnowCake

E' una trascrizione fatta da un file audio su Alan Rickman Download Haven

[I've left out some word repeats and "um"s and put some "um"s in.]

Campbell Brown: But first, welcome back to Today, everybody. Campbell Brown along with Lester Holt (previously known as Whats-his-face), and coming up in this half hour, we've got Sigourney Weaver and Alan Rickman.
Lester Holt: They are, in fact, in the house. We have a picture - there they are. Hey, guys! They've teamed up for the new film Snow Cake. It centers on two people brought together by a deadly accident. They're going to join us live a bit later to talk about that and other projects they're working on. Happy to have them here.
CB: And they're like . . . are we really on?
CB: And still to come on Today, a slice of Snow Cake. Sigourney Weaver and Alan Rickman join us to talk about their new film. That's next, right after these messages.
LH: She is a 3-time Oscar nominee for her very diverse roles in Aliens, the 1988 romantic comedy Working Girls and Gorillas in the Mist. He made his big-screen debut as the ultimate villain in Die Hard but might be best known as Professor Snape in the Harry Potter films. Now Sigourney Weaver and Alan Rickman are starring together in Snow Cake, a drama about an adult autistic woman and the man who enters her life. Take a look.
At the door scene.
LH: And Sigourney Weaver and Alan Rickman are joining us this morning. Good morning to both of you. Thanks so much for being on. That's one of many uncomfortable scenes in this movie . . . um, because - let me set the stage here - Alan you're playing this closed off, emotionally damaged Brit who gives a 19-year-old girl a lift, she dies in a car crash in his car, you go to meet the mother, and you find out . . . you're not quite sure in that scene, but she's autistic. Is that correct?
AR: She is, but I don't think he knows quite what's going on so that scene, apart from me looking like a drowned rat is, uh, is also somebody who's very confused 'cause there's somebody who's opened the door and a) isn't looking at you and b) seems to be unaffected by the news about what's happened to her daughter.
LH: Yeah, she's just found out her daughter has died and doesn't react as we'd expect, and, Sigourney, this had to be a very difficult part to play.
SW: You know, it took me a long time to find . . . there's such a range of autism and this character, Linda, was very verbal - very high-functioning in some ways and not so in other ways and it is about these three people who don't want to connect, who end up connecting with each other on some level.
LH: And I mentioned the uncomfortable scene . . . there's several moments in the movie when you feel uncomfortable because you're trying to deal with - as a viewer - you're trying to deal with your own perceptions of autism and there are moments in this film that you're playing a part that is no different than anyone else in the movie.
SW: Good. That's good.
LH: That's what you were looking for?
SW: Yes, there should be - certainly there were moments when I was researching the part where, in the right circumstance, where the person feels like they're in control . . . uh, they're so high-functioning that you would never know. Uh, so we did want to show that aspect. I mean, again, there's a huge range. And that was - there's that one scene where we're playing her version of Scrabble - comic book Scrabble, which was a lot of fun.
LH: Making up the words, which we do in my family, too.
SW: And she slays him.
LH: And she slays him. And, Alan, I was interested to find out that you were cast first for this movie. You two, by the way, had played in Galaxy Quest several years ago. The only time you had worked together, and you recommended Sigourney for the role, didn't you?
SW: Well, he told me about it.
AR: Well, no, it's absolutely true, but you know, you read a script . . . a lot of what one does, as an actor, hopefully, is kind of based on instinct rather than anything else. I read the script and Sigourney's face just kept coming off the page at me, but there are specific requirements. You need somebody who's going to be intelligent about it, and have fun, and have absolutely no ego.
LH: It's funny, when we sat down . . . you guys are great together. When we sat down, you asked me what was the first time in the movie I laughed, because you want to laugh at some points but you're not sure if it's ok.
AR: It's very ok. I think it's a very funny film. I mean, the only times I've ever seen it have been with a full audience and there is this kind of - the silence that you're talking about - well, where is this going? And it's probably when I crack my head on the bottom bunk of her . . .
LH: When you find out she's in the bunk.
AR: Yeah.
LH: That was a great scene. I want to switch gears now, Sigourney. As a lot of folks know, your father started the Today Show
SW: Right.
LH: and you're playing in another movie right now called "The TV Set" and I guess you're kind of playing the anti-Pat Weaver.
SW: I am playing the anti-Pat Weaver, absolutely. It's a very affectionate look at the hideous process of getting on a quality pilot, and I put the kabosh on anything that's demanding for the audience.
LH: You're using a little of your inside knowledge of the business, obviously.
SW: You know, I actually based it on a woman who runs a non-profit who is very hard to say no to . . . so I just sort of . . . she just kind of rolls over you, so that's what I based it on.
LH: Looking forward that. Then, Alan, you've got a number of other projects, including - is this the - am I correct? the fifth Harry Potter film now, about to come out?
AR: Uh, that comes out in the summer, yeah.
LH: And I know you know you can't talk much about it - I'm just wondering if playing . . .
AR: "Won't" is the answer to that.
LH: Oh, you won't talk about it! But, playing a part like that - does it get better and better? I mean, do you become more comfortable in the role?
AR: I don't know that - the point is to not be comfortable in that part and the reason I don't talk about it is 'cause I think it's very important to hang on to the, if you like, the mystery of the character
LH: Sure.
AR: And it's important for children not to be figuring out who he is.
LH: Well, I know all
AR: We'll all find out
LH: . . . all of us are expected to see that movie when it comes out. Sigourney Weaver and Alan Rickman, what a great pleasure to have both of you here, congratulations on Snow Cake.
SW: Thank you. Thanks for having us.
LH: And we should let folks know, by the way, it's in theaters right now and will continue rolling out in selected markets throughout

THE MAKING OF SNOW CAKE (dal DVD del Film)

Trascrizione dei sottotitoli delle interviste presenti
sul dvd di SC, Extra Features, Making Of

Mark Evans: Well, I had a phone call one cold January afternoon from Gina Carter at Revolution Films who said, “Look at this script. It’s quite different”. And she started to pitch it to me, and it was…Car accidents were involved and autism, so it was…You have to read it, really, to understand what it was. It’s called Snow Cake, by Angel Pell. And Angela just written this wonderful, life-enhancing script, which is sort of funny and sad and melancholic and inspiring, and as soon as I read it I knew I wanted to do it.

(00.01.05) -1-

Alan Rickman: I just got the script through the post from my agent, like you do. And then I went to meet with Marc and Gina. Marc Evans the director, and Gina Carter, the producer.

(00.01.18)

Sigourney Weaver: Well, I heard about the script from Alan, because we were discussing doing a play together, and he said. “Well, I’m doing this script.” He said “You should really take a look at it. There’s a wonderful part for you in it.” And he told me the story, and I said “Wow”. I said “They’ll never think of me for that”

Carrie Ann Moss: And I read it, It took me away, you know. And I find scripts lately that I’ve been reading. It’s rare that I read them in one sitting, and I read this in one sitting. And that’s always a really good sign when you, you know, can’t put it down.

SW: And then they sent me the script, which I thought was … well, just had such a wonderful balance of, first of all, comedy, and romance and, I think, some real truth about a rather rare subject, which is someone who has autism.

CAM: I just thought it was so beautifully written and so human, and I haven’t ever, you know, read anything about autism later in my life. We all hear about children with autism but w don’t hear about down the road and what life looks like.

ME: It seems quite often the biggest obstacle between the script and the film seems to be the casting. There’s a whole game about to get names towards the script and how to get the right actors for the part, and how to get the agents to read the script fot the actors if there’s no money on the table. What happened to us was that Angela Pell had written the part of Alex for Alan Rickman, and Alan Rickman’s a British actor, and so, we’re British filmmakers, so it was fairly easy to at least have a phone conversation with his agent about wheter Alan would like to read the script, and it was easier to have that conversation, because we could say that the script had been written for him. And Gina, the producer, and Angela, the writer, and myself arranged to meet him one morning for breakfast to kind of pitch the film to him. He’d read the script already. And he walked in, and in a very Alan Rickman sort of way said “Well, if the script were a house, I’d tell you to take it off the market.” Kind of “Where do I sign?”

MOVIE
CAM: So, Mr Snow Drifter, what’s your story?
AR: Me? Oh, there’s nothing much to say, really.
CAM: Oh, come on. I can tell by looking at your face that you have some interesting baggage.
AR: I don’t have a baggage. I have haulage.
CAM: see, I told you.

ME: But to be honest, Sigourney became involved because Alan knew her from Galaxy Quest. They’d done a film together before. And he just said Sigourney would be amazing for this part. And we concurred. We said “Yes, she would. Do you think she would read it?” You know, we did manage to get the script to her and get her to read it without too much fuss, because Alan had kind of helped us do that. And it was a very similar story with Sigourney as it was with Alan, really, when we actually met her and she talked about the script. She obviously really wanted to do it. And we found ourselves with Sigourney Weaver and Alan Rickman attached, before really had any money to make the film. But you know, that makes every conversation about the film easier and it went from there, really.
I suppose it’s fair to say that we thought of Carrie-Ann Moss, because we were looking for a Canadian actress and I have to say, it makes casting sound really simple, but it was a very similar story. She’d read the script and really liked the part. You know, in a way, it all goes back to Angela’s writing, the fact that she ‘d written these characters that actors just wanted to leap on.

MOVIE:
COP: Oh, I’ve a spare ticket for a magician up at the Legion on Wednesday, if you’re interested.
CAM: What’s he gonna do, Clyde? Make you disappear?

ME: In a funny sort of way, the hardest bit of casting was Vivienne, because she had to be this sort of force-of.nature type of kid who has to have a massive… Make a big impression on the audience before disappearing from the story, really. So she has to be a sort of indelible, and you might have to remember her and like her, but sort of feel like she’s a little, kind of… a bit of a pain in the arse as well, because she persuades Alan’s character to give her a lift. We found Emily Hampshire, and we found her really early on in the process.Young Canadian actress, and you know, to be honest, she was Vivienne. We spent a lot of time looking for other people who might become Vivienne, and she kept sort of… We kept talking abut her, Gina, the producer, and Myself. She was just always there. You sort feel you can’t cast the first person you meet, but she was practically one of the first people we met, and we did cast her, And I’m really glad we did. Not only is she really good in the role, there’s something about her that reminds you of Sigourney. I don’t know, there’s something that makes her credible as Sigourney’s daughter. And I don’t know what that is, but sort of added to the whole relationship within the film. Because they don’t actually meet within the film, but you feel that they’ve had a life longer together before the film starts. It0s quite a hard thing to pull off but I think she did it.

(KITAKA SASSA by TAKEMI KAKIZAKI)

(ANATHEMS FOR A 17-YEAR-OLD GIRL)

ME: Every film has a sort of central problem, and the central problem of this film, if you like, to one thing you had to get right was the autism, or at least the film’s attitude towards autism.

SW: I feel relieved in a way that our production was postponed, because in the end I jhad almost a year to research.

(00.07.25) -2-

AR: Well, It’s a very strange experience. I mean, she’s done so much work and research and is brilliantly convincing. And I have deliberately done none.

(00.07.40)

ME: Of course, one of the greatest things that we had was Sigourney Weaver researching autism. So in a sense, she was in charge of Linda’s autism. She’d lived with a woman called Ros Blackburn, who’s an adult autistic woman, for a while. So she had tha autism down, if you like, before starting.

SW: She and I kind of hit it off when we met, and I ended up spending a number of days with her. And I don’t think, except for her generosity, I would have been able to take such a leap, because every time I approach a scene I just try to be accurate. And of course, I’m npt playing her. At a certain point Linda takes over, but I care very much that all the physical aspects are accurate.

(00.08.25) -3-

AR: One of the things which I suppose is… It’s hard to deal with, but it’s also quite freeing to deal with, is the fact that she doesn’t make eye contact. So when she speaks to you she’s speaking to yo here somewhere or off somewhere.

MOVIE:
SW: I like useful people. And people who like doing the things I like doing.

AR: Huge intelligence. Hears things in a very selective way, but doesn’t make eye contact.

ME: Working with Alan Rickman and Sigiourney Weaver and Carrie-Ann Moss was extremely svcary prospect, because they are thoroughbreds, and in the case of Sigourney and Alan, obviously, are actors who, one has admired from when one was growing up. I mean, Alien is one of the films of my youth. So you go, well… It’s hard to sort of find a language for those people because you admire them a bit too much, really.

(00.09.17) -4-

AR: I said to somebody the other day, I said, “I feel like the filler in a rather remarkable sandwich”, because I got these two very iconic women, and actors, and they’re both very fine actors. And they are playing two sides of a coion, in a way, because an important part of the story is the growing, or hopefully growing relationship between Linda and Maggie, which sort of resolves itself towards the end of the film. So it need two strong women.

(00.09.35)
Fuori scena chiesa e Scarabeo.
(00.10.00)
Fuori scena con camionista
Marc Evans benedice Alan
Anellozzo
(00.10.15)

SW: Alan is, to me, one of the greaters actors. I think it’s a quite challenging part. And I think he desplays all of these different relationships with such subtlety and such intelligence. And he’s quite dry, in that sort of, kind of, withering way that Alan has. And great irony.

CAM: Sigourney is just wonderful, and I adore Alan. We’re having such a good time. He makes me laugh, which is, like, the greatest thing, I think.

SW: I haven’t worked with Carrie-Anne. Well, she’s lovely, and I’m afraid that I only have a couple of seconds with her, because Linda is, you know, either in her own world, in her backyard, or she’s preoccupied with people being in her house or some of the other issues she has. So we con’t have much to do together, but it’s been fun, the little that we’ve had.

MOVIE

CAM: Well, the first few days, I was really respectful of, and were shooting in her house, and I hated being in her house, because I felt like “I shouldn’t be in here. She doesn’t want me here. Not Sigourney, but Linda doesn’t want me there.

ME: What made everything easier was having a really good rehearsal period. And Angela, the writer, was present, and we sat… It was a lot of sitting around tables and discussing the script, and actually, they brought a lot of themselves to the script. And so quality is quality, really, because they are who they are because they’re so good. So, it was actually easy, at the end of the day, to direct them than… Even though there was a sort of nervousness there, because they took charge of their parts, they just knew what they wanted to do. And the rest was just discussion.

CAM: everyone is so on this movie, the producers… Niv and Gina are just gorgeous. And Marc is just so lovely. When I first met him, on my first meeting I thought he seemed really lovely but I couldn’t understand a word he was saying, ‘cause he’s got a strong Welsh accent.

SW: He gives you very delicate, very insightful directions, and he’s incredibly enthusiastic and supportive, very generous. I’ve worked with some wonderful, talented directors. He is, I think, especially joyous about what he’s doing, and committed, and happy with his group and with what he’s doing, and that I think, makes for a very happy set.

ME: In general, the Canadian crews are just amazing. They’re just… They obviously look so much healthy than we do, and they always seem like they work hard and play hard. I know that’s a bit of cliché, but they do. They’ve got a great sense of humour and a fantastic attitude to work. And we shot the film in 27 days, which is a real testament, I think, to how hard everybody worked. It was really really happy shoot, from the point of view of working with the Canadian crews and everything. One of the things about co-productions, of course, Gina Carter, the producer, and I turned up there, and we knew that we had to use some Canadian crew, but you don’t know who they’re gonna be. And sometimes that really works in your favour, And one of the nice surprises on the shoot was meeting a photographer like Steve Cosens, who did the cinematography on this film. He’s just… He’s a real Canadian talent. And in a way, it was a conduit, I think, between us and Canada, ‘cause he comes from small-town Canada and really relished the prospect of shooting in that landscape and we had a lot of discussions about how the film should look. And we came up with this idea… I don’t know where it came from exactly, but this sort of Super-8-y idea that somehow… I felt that the film should feel like somebody’s memory, like those… sometimes you go “Remember those three days we spent in that place?”, and because it’s a place that was undergoing change, the snow was melting, that it was like the way you might think back on it. So in a sense it was like a whole movie of Alan’s time there. A lot of the colours are in the landscape already, but it’s not totally… We weren’t going for a total realism, it’s not… It’s got a little touch of otherness to it, a little unreality.

ME: Well, Wawa’s a town in Northern Ontario in the middle of nowhere. It was suggested to us by Niv Fichman, the Canadian producer, because it was Glenn Gould’s, the Canadian pianist’s, favourite town. It’s called Wawa ‘cause “wawa” is the sound of the Canadian goose and it has a very large Canadian goose sitting proudly at the entrance of the town. And it’s just got a kind of a look. It’s not the prettiest town in the world, but it’s got something. Something that a small town… A small town in the script seemed to require, which is a kind of, I suppose, an eccentricity, and a charm.

SW: I’m so thrilled that we got to start on location. I think it’s a great way of getting to know everybody. And it’s really helpful to me as an actor to know what world I’m in. And Wawa is very beautiful. Everyone was incredibly welcoming and excited to have us.

ME: There was definite contact between the locals and the actors, and we almost became part of the furniture, which is, it’s great when that happens. People going about their daily business while we were shooting a scene in the high street. And really a lot of the town and the people that you see in the film that’s just… That’s what Wawa is, that’s the reality of that place.

SW: I kind of felt righy at home there, really, mountains and lakes and stuff like that, like we have in upstate New York, and really nice people, really generous people. Coming from New York City, where people go “Oh, another film crew’s in the town. My God. I’ll never get downtown” or something. They were like, quite pleased to have us there, which was really sweet.

(00.16.00) -5-
AR:I like it. You don’t have to travel far to work. You’re filming, sort of, just outside the door or one minute down the road or something. And you’re very focussed on the work, ‘cause there’s nothing to do.
(00.16.20)

ME: One of the main reasons for going to Wawa, as well, was that we needed snow. The title of the film is Snow Cake, and the snow is almost a character in the film. It’s part of the world of the film. And the production went later and later, as productions do. So we really shot the film in spring, not in winter. In a beautiful, Northern Ontario spring, with the thaw happening. But as the thaw increased, the snow decreased, so that we… Luckily, we were in Wawa, and the town was behind the film, so we had a lot of help from local labour just digging snow out from the lake, into the back of pickup trucks, and depositing it in the back garden of Sigourney’s house in the film.

(00.17.00) -6-

AR: we had a freak period of 13 days of unbroken sunshine, which, on the face of it, with a film called Snow Cake, you might think would be a problem, but the special effects people and the snow pourer-downers and the wheelbarrows full of it that had been collected from gardens and kept in storage came out by the truckload, and were dumped on gardens. The mixture of snow and slush and sunshine, I think, has been much better for the film because I think it gives a visual lightness that it really will benefit from.
(00-17.40)

SW: I always imagined the world, Linda’s world, to be like a snow globe where the snow was plentiful and pure, and went for miles and stuff like that. And of course, we just had, like, little, rather pathetic piles of snow sometimes, and it wasn’t always clean. I felt that hanging on to little remnants of snow that were left actually was much more real. And that I think Linda differentiates between good snow and bad snow. It’s all snow, and she loves it all, and so, in an odd way, something that we had tried to avoid, which was lack of snow, ended up working for us.

ME: In a way, it was quite lucky that we ended up shooting the film in spring, because in a way, what the film is about is the thawing of Alan Rickman’s character of Alex. He starts off as a frosty character with a lot of stuff going on inside him. Through meeting these people in this town, in particular Sigourney’s character and Carrie-Anne’s character, he starts to thaw. As a person, he starts to come out of himself. And so, sometimes the weather goes with you, and sometimes it doesn’t. But in a way spring really helped us tell the story.

What was weird about this film, that we got the cast together quite quickly, and what was difficult was getting the money together, even with our cast. And sometimes you do wonder how hard it’s gotta be to make a film like this, because it seems to me to make perfect sense as a piece of casting and a film, now that we’ve managed to make it. But were severely delayed, and that, you know, it tried our patience a lot, and it particularly tried the patience of the actors who were committed to the film. But it wasn’t a big-budget film, and they were trying to make time in their schedule to make sure they were still available. And I must say they became much more a part of the production than actors normally do, because we’re all living in a state of high tension until the first day of shooting, you know.

CAM: You know, I can only imagine that this story will give some people a lot of peace, I think. People that are dealing, that are living with autism. There is something very conscious in this story about the experience of autism that takes it from the observer thinking , “Oh, what a drag” to… That maybe there’s something more to the experience than it being all bad or all tragic.

(00.20.05) -7-

AR: You know, this has been a real labour of love, this film, and it just goes to show what you can achieve when enough people get their energies together and really commit to a piece of writing that has a real story to tell. I mean, Angela has a nine-year-old autistic son, but she hasn’t been indulgent about that. She has moved that story to an adult autistic. I think that’s something that none of us know much about. So it’s gonna be an education to people on one level, but it’s hugely entertaining and very funny and touching, as well.

ME: Why.. why the film seems to win you over, or the script won me over, anyway, was because it’s sort of a grown up film. It’s about somebody who… It’s not about kids. It’s about somebody, you know, in their middle age, who’s been through some hard times, who finds a new angle on life and carries on. You sort of feel at the end of the film that Alex’s life will be very different and better. And you sort of go on that journey with him.

Edited by Ida59 - 12/11/2012, 17:43

Web  Top
view post Posted on 17/11/2012, 14:18

Pozionista con esperienza

Group:
Bannati

Le caps sono stupende!.

Contacts  Top
halfbloodprincess78
view post Posted on 15/12/2012, 20:39

Quattro nuove caps:

144450-de241-62514450-m750x740-ucd390